Originally from Stamford, Conn., Jay Friese, aka DJ Jay Free, rocks the hottest clubs and bars from Boston to New York City. He has been a DJ since 2001 and considers his style to be a “journey through sound, constantly playing vocals that will make you move your feet.” Read on and get to know more about your fellow DJ!
1. How and when did you get started as a DJ?
I started DJing when I was 15 with a teen organization I was a part of. I specialize in nightclub events, but have recently started doing weddings by request. To hear some mixes, please click here.
2. Is this a full-time job or something you do on the side?
My full-time job is in medical sales, but I DJ one to three nights per week.
3. What fixtures are included in your setup? What are you looking to add?
I currently run four CHAUVET® COLORpalette™ wash lights and a Scorpion™ GBC laser. I’m looking to add SlimPAR™ 64 wash lights so I can offer uplighting to my wedding clients.
4. What is your favorite fixture and why?
I would have to say my Scorpion GBC laser. The Fat Beam™ laser effect looks sick in an environment without fog or haze. However, if you add smoke or haze, it looks like nothing I’ve ever used!
5. Best advice you can give someone just getting started in the DJ industry?
Be humble. Offer to open for local guys. Most importantly, practice, practice, practice!